Monday, September 14, 2009

Once you have decided why you want to lose weight you have to decide how much weight you want to lose. 

 Now one of my doctors has a chart in their office of ideal body weights so of course I took a peak.  I am 5’ 2”.  I am of small frame.  So my ideal weight is between 99 and 109 pounds according to that chart!!  Yeah right!  I think I was born weighing more than that!

 

I have taken the three most commonly used charts ideal weight charts and here they are.  So at 62 inches I am still supposed to be between 120 and 125.  Well guess what.  I really don’t care!

 

What you have to do is look back on your life and find a weight that you felt good at.  A weight you felt most healthy.  That is a more idealist goal.  So for me.  The best I ever felt and looked was as a senior in high school.  I was 135.  That is my goal.

 

However, if I had to look at 135 being my goal.  I will get discouraged.  That is a 146 pound weight loss!  Holy crap I can’t think about that I will give up before I even start!  What you have to do is break it down.  So start with 5% body loss.  So instead of looking at needing to lose 146 pounds I will look at 14 pounds.  Okay that is a lot more doable isn’t it.  Once I met the 14 pound mark I went for 10%.  That would be 28 pounds, of which I have lost 14 already so I have 14 pounds to lose.  Isn’t that a lot easier to take than the bigger picture.  And you know what.  It feels so good when you make it! 

 

Once I felt comfortable with these goals I changed things up a little.  I would tell myself.  Gee, you have 10 pounds to be at the weight you were at 9 years ago.   Or holy moly, 11 pounds to go and you weigh as much as you did when you were 9 months pregnant with your second child – almost 11 years ago! 

 

What you have to remember is that motivation is the key.  If you are seeing results and keeping yourself motivated you will succeed.  The minute you fall off that steady motivated pattern is when you want to give up.  Don’t allow yourself to do that.  Set realistic goals that you can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment