Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Brief Beginning

I have known I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome for a year now.  My symptoms began appearing almost 2 years ago though.

However, I also was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden, which is an inherited tendency to get blood clots.  As a result, I can not go on one of the main treatments of maintain PCOS – the birth control pill.  I was also tested for insulin resistence and that came back negative as well.

Therefore, it seems there is no medical treatment for me.

I am beginning the process of one of the treatments shown to alleviate the symptoms of women with PCOS – weight loss.  I have begun a food journal to track my consumption of food.  I also am beginning to try to exercise more.  I’ve ridden my bicycle the past two days and have found it more enjoyable than the alternatives – jogging, walking, running.

I’m tired of the embarrassing apple shaped body, the resulting hair growth, and having to worry about the possible risk of endometrial cancer.  Even if weight loss doesn’t help some of my symptoms – it is still one less medical condition I have to worry about.

[Via http://beatingpcos.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment