Saturday, April 4, 2009

the beautiful oak trees hate me

I am having the hardest time this week with my allergies. I’ve been miserable. I never had allergies my whole life until a few years ago. I am having a hard time with congestion, ear pressure, coughing and sneezing.  I’ve been to the doctor twice this week, and I am now on steroids. Great.

Hopefully this works. The side effects of steroids can be bad. My doctor wanted to give me a steroid shot, but she told me that there is the possibility of it leaving a dime to a apple sized dimple in my skin that could last up to 2 years. I was like, “hells no”. So I am taking the oral kind. I’ve already been on them for one day, and haven’t noticed many side effects so far. The ones I’m most concerned about are  increased appetite, and water weight gain. So far so good. I did really well on my eating yesterday. Especially since I ate out at a Mexican restaurant for lunch, and picked up food for dinner.

You can apparently eat somewhat healthy Mexican food. I ordered guacamole tacos (2). The key to ordering healthy tacos is to order soft corn tortillas. The tortillas are usually the worst part of a taco for you. I have really taken a liking to them this year. I use them all the time at home. I throw mine into my panini press to cook them up, and then make my tacos. Delicious.

For dinner I got a veggie burger from a place down the street. It’s a grilled burger on a wheat bun with lettuce, tomato and green chilies. So good! I get a side salad with it, and put balsamic vinegar on it, with no oil at all, and it’s surprisingly good!

Considering that I ate these meals yesterday, I feel pretty good about it. These steroids can’t get to me! I just wish they would make me feel better. The fact that I am coughing is very scary. Last year I had an allergy attack, and developed bronchitis. I really don’t want to go that way again this year.

Right before my allergies flaired up this week, I had started working out regularly. The allergies have put a stop to that. The good thing about it is that I am not depending on exercise to lose the weight. I am depending on my eating. The exercise is a great bonus, so although I am taking a forced break from it, I am still on track to get where I want to be. I want to use exercise as a helper in my weight loss, and an aid to getting healthy. I dont’ believe you can be truly healthy without working out. I want to work out moderately about 4 days a week, but I don’t believe that you can be successful in weight loss with only exercise. Diet first…exercise second. I have done the excessive working out routine to try to lose weight. It didn’t work. I would bust my ass every day, and was upset that I wasn’t losing weight. I honestly just burned myself out, and started to dread what I was doing. I want what I am doing to be a healthy lifestyle change. I want to be forming good habits that will last me throughout the rest of my life. I don’t want to lose some weight, and then go back to what I was doing before. I don’t believe you can be successful in this way. I don’t ever want to get back to where I am now. I also don’t want to look at my eating as a diet. It’s just making healthier eating choices. I still eat!!! I still love to eat!!! Right now, I just don’t think about it all the time. I am not basing my day any more around my meal times. I used to have a hard time just living because I looked forward to my next meal all the time. That’s rediculous! I am forced to think about it in a different way. I am forced to confront what I am really shoveling into my face. I am keeping track of what I am eating, but I am not obsessing. I think I am on the right track. I think I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment