Friday, October 30, 2009

Worst Idea Ever

Okay, so here’s a rundown of how my week went.

Monday – Headed down to the pre op/post op meeting and didn’t have much time to eat before it. Against my better judgement, I purchased a 6 inch ham sandwich from Subway and had them cut it in half. I ate it over the span of an hour and sat through the meeting. I had a great time and ended up talking more than I thought I would. On the ride home I felt a mild discomfort and figured I just needed to lie down and go to sleep early. I ended up lying down until about 9:30pm when the abdominal pain was incredibly sharp. I tried making myself vomit, but have always had difficulty with that. I ended up driving towards a hospital close to my parent’s house and called my boss on the way. He told me I was an idiot for driving there on my own and I told him I was almost there. I hung up with him and the nausea overtook me. I decided to turn into my parent’s street and immediately popped my door open and puked twice while I hung from my seatbelt. I finished the ride to my parent’s house and figured I’d sleep it out and just puke i out the rest. During the course of the night, every hour I would wake with sharp abdominal pain, then I would proceed to heave three to five times before feeling a little better.

Tuesday – at 4am, I realized the pain wasn’t getting any better so I drove myself to the hospital. They immediately planted an IV and had me drink barium sulfate for three hours to prep for a catscan of my tummy. They finally got the results and the doctor told me it was a partial bowel obstruction and discharged me at 10:30am. I drove to my parents house and make a quick appointment to meet with my surgeon that afternoon. I made it there and talked it over with him. He took a look at the scans and told me that it was going to take some time, but it should be able to work itself out on it’s own. I went home and felt like poo. I slept for the remainder of the afternoon and in the evening around 7-8pm the pain was still incredibly intense and I asked my brother to take me to the hospital. He and his girlfriend accompanied me to the hospital that my surgeon practices at. I spent hours puking up bile and had to drink an alternate barium drink for yet another catscan. They then admitted me to the hospital and brought me to the room. I spent more time puking and crying because once the morphine was given, in an hour it had worn off and the pain was excruciating. I can only equate it to a menstrual cramp on steroids longing to punch its way out of your lower abdomen. Maybe that’s what the guy in Aliens felt like, but at least there was relief when the Alien popped out of him.

Wednesday through Friday – Spent this time dealing with the pain (it got lesser and lesser every hour) and eventually was released today.

I just weighed myself and I have lost 9 pounds in 4 days. That is the worst diet plan EVER. DO NOT TRY THIS EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment