Friday, January 8, 2010

Diet Friday

I’ve never liked the word diet, but I dislike all the other diet euphemisms even more.  Program, eating plan, lifestyle choice . . . it all means diet, so that is the word I’m going to use.

I’m on a diet.  There, I said it.  I have been on a diet since Monday, and I started some aspects of the diet on Saturday.  My diet du jour is based on Jorge Cruise’s new book, “The Belly Fat Cure”.

As far as diets go, this is not exactly my first rodeo, so to speak.  I have probably tried every diet ever published (and some unpublished) since 1976.  Strangely enough, I’ve never had massive amounts of weight to lose–just the same 15 pounds over and over.  Now, I want to lose 25.  I have been at about the same weight for close to 3 years, and have been on Weight Watchers 3 times.  Although I lost 5 pounds on WW, it was tough and I was hungry.  As you get older, WW allows fewer and fewer points.  Not fair!  I figured I was eating about 1200 calories per day.  Technically, if all is true about calories and weight loss, I should have lost more.  Interestingly, I can eat as much as I want of whatever I want and not gain any more weight, but cutting my calories really wasn’t causing me to lose weight, either.

The basic formula in the BFC (Belly Fat Cure) is to stay at 15 grams or less of sugar per day, and 6 carbohydrate servings of 20 grams or less per day.  Now, I really hate low carb diets.  They make me cranky and they make me obsess about food constantly.  I’m not a big meat eater.  I like carbs.  So I had to find something that didn’t have a drastic carb-free induction period.  Otherwise, someone might get hurt.

I’m happy to say that I have made it throught the first five days without hurting anybody, myself included.  Giving up my beloved Diet Coke has not been too difficult thanks to my daily Zevia diet soda, sweetened with stevia.  Tastes great, and it’s guaranteed to lighten your wallet quicker than any other diet soda out there!  : )  Seriously,  it was $5.99 per six-pack at my local small town health food store.  Yikes!  I’m going to check around and see if I can find any better prices.

This week I have indulged in a glass of wine, cheese and dark chocolate.  (Perfectly legal on this program!)  I have not been hungry and haven’t thought too much about food.  It really has not been hard. 

As for results, I can only tell you how I feel as I did not weigh myself before I started.  I’m one of those people who can get obsessed with scale numbers, so I try to weigh myself as little as possible.  I did weigh myself Tuesday morning just to have some idea of a baseline.  I definitely feel that my waist is trimmer, and I am starting to get in touch with my ribcage again.  I hope next week I can say Hello to my hipbones!

[Via http://kitchrn.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment