Friday, February 5, 2010

Ouch, My Everything

This time around, I feel it’s incredibly important to not only change my eating habits for the better, but to also change my (mostly) sedentary life style. To accomplish this, my boyfriend and I recently joined 24 Hour Fitness*. We’ve been pretty good about going several times a week and doing cardio, nothing too incredibly strenuous, but something’s better than nothing especially when you’re just starting back up!

We were starting to feel just about ready to knock our regimen up a notch or two, so we decided to take advantage of the free personal training session that the gym offers to new clients. I was a little wary of the whole thing because I’m so very out of shape at the moment, but our sessions were yesterday, and I’m extremely happy to report that I loved it!! My trainer was absolutely wonderful. She didn’t make me feel awful about being unfit. She was fun to work with, and she definitely kicked my butt! We did a whole bunch of floor work (which is my favorite . . . the weight machines are nice, but give me machine-less pilates any day and I’ll be just fine), and lots of stretching. I found it funny how shocked she was at my flexibility. I had told her that I was a dancer for most of my life up until after high school, but something tells me she didn’t really take me seriously. It’s interesting the perceptions people have about those who are overweight . . . but that’s for a different entry.

After our sessions, Josh and I stayed for what we thought would be a nice relaxing yoga class. Turns out it was less a yoga class than it was a crazy-ass death cardio class from hell. So, needless to say, when I woke up this morning every single one of my major muscle groups were throbbing! There’s a picture of myself that I posted several months ago – I took it after doing a workout dvd. That’s pretty much what I looked like all day! It’s feeling much better now, but every time I sit down and stand up again I feel like an eighty-year-old woman. Not pretty. There’s a lot of noise involved and it takes me about thirty seconds to stand up straight. I’ll be happy when my body once again becomes used to working out on a regular basis!

So, what’s the point of all this wordiness? I signed up for some personal training sessions in the next few weeks!! I’m super excited and a little nervous . . . but mostly excited. So, wish me luck, everyone out there in Interweb Land. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna need it.

*For those interested, if you have or know someone who has a Costco card, they’re selling two year memberships for 24 Hour Fitness right now for $299.99 a month (tax is included in the price). The price averages out to about $12/month and the sign up fee is already included which is a crazy good deal considering most gyms ask for about $30/month. Plus, it’s all access to every 24 Hour Fitness gym except for Super Sports. It’s definitely worth looking into if you’re interested in getting back on the health wagon.

[Via http://scalingdownsteph.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment