Monday, December 21, 2009

Looking For the Skinny in Organic Food

I have to admit, I don’t know much about organic food. I know it through biased broadstrokes that really aren’t fact-based: it’s supposed to be more nutritionally advantageous, supposed to carry less pesticides and chemicals, and supposed to be better for me in a sparkly, bluebirds-flying-around-my-head kind of way. By nature, I am a skeptical person; I am not one to pursue a trend just because society tells me to do it, nor am I inclined to just believe right off the bat.

Cavemen

You’d think they had it good…

The one thing I know for sure about organic food: it’s more expensive. Whether it’s a carton of eggs or produce, it costs more to purchase organic food at the supermarket or at a farmer’s market.

My question: is it really worth it? Or, is organic food just a trend- a recruitment call from orthorexic hypochondriacs and militant, flatulent vegans?

So, as I exercise and attempt to lose weight constructively, I’m looking to figure this out for myself. And, since this is the only body I have for however long my life lasts, I should stop looking at organic food advocates as histrionic freaks who can’t live without Whole Foods so I can make an informed decision about organic eating. Because, regardless of whether I make fun of them or not, I have to wonder: are pesticides or hormones partially responsible for me being overweight, or how I metabolize any kind of food? Despite a budget increase, will eating organically produced food produce a desirable fitness-related difference?

Or, is it a big, fat joke?

Organic Food

Maybe it’s a CONSPIRACY.

So far, the first source I’ve checked out is a Washington Post blog, which contends that organically produced food does not offer any nutritional advantages over conventionally produced food. Additionally, this Redbook article points out- without much fancy-language argument- that organic foods are healthy choices, but not definitively nutritionally advantageous over conventionally produced food.

However, neither article really addresses the issue of pesticides and chemical consequences, which is the true appeal behind organic food, and especially in fruits and veggies. Thankfully, the Redbook article includes a link to Food News, which is a terrific source with which I- or anyone- can make more informed decisions about organic foods. It contains a list of foods most affected by pesticides, so if (like me), you’re a budget-conscious consumer, you can decide how to approach organic food game one item at a time.

That said, I am not completely convinced that conventional food will cause me to die, or that the pesticides in my food really will cause horrible health choices down the road. But, surprisingly enough, I came upon a reason to support organic food that doesn’t necessarily relate to my waistline: supporting American farmers and local sustainability over cheaper and possibly less-quality imports.

Since I’m one who likes supporting small businesses over bigger chains that provide a lesser quality product, I would be glad to buy an organic. This, to me, feels like a good reason to start buying organic and frequenting farmer’s markets: helping a community of small businesses survive is a pretty good thing to do, especially in our economy. (If you’re interested in doing the same, find a Farmer’s Market in your area through Local Harvest.)

So, thanks to doing a little research, I think the organic bandwagon is worth sampling and learning more about. Though there are still health-food hypochondriacs out there who drive me nuts, the organic movement is not just about them jingling bells of green propaganda, but understanding that it’s a question of conscientious economics. For now, the choice to eat organic does not appear to be an automatic health benefit, but it will help keep small businesses alive and enable some local sustainability. I am not convinced that spending a little extra money will prevent me from coming down with cancer, but that I can help a worthy farm purveyor keep going.

This article is the first of what I anticipate will be a few more musings about organic food. As I continue to educate myself, I’ll share what I know. If anyone has any great sources to turn to, as well as more compelling reasons to be a definitive organic advocate, I’m open to hearing them.

Thanks for reading :-)

[Via http://lexgetsphysical.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment