Monday, December 28, 2009

2009: So, how did I do?

This morning was official weigh day, the last of 2009, so I will take this opportunity to have a bit of a look back over my progress this year.

On a small scale, just over the last week, I didn’t do brilliantly with my mini-goals, but it could have been worse. I didn’t exercise everyday, having xmas day and boxing day off, but I did rack up just over two hours and 9.9 km on the treadmill, including two HIIT sessions. Not the 20 km I was aiming for, but more than I’ve done in months. I didn’t log my food intake everyday either, giving up on xmas and not getting back into it. I doubt I maintained a deficit overall, but I gained a mere 0.4 lbs over the week, and all things considered, I’m quite content with that. As for my lifestyle goal, I also didn’t finish sorting out my office, but I made a start, and the rest of the house looks great. So, considering I am zero for three, I’m not entirely sure why I’m so satisfied with my efforts, but there you have it. Could have been a lot worse.

As well as being weigh day today, I also took body measurements so that I could see how I’ve changed since finishing the 5th TT contest, and also so I’ll have a starting point for my 2010 efforts. I’m sorry I didn’t do this at the beginning of the year because I’d love to see how far I’ve come.

Anyhow, since this time last year, my weight loss for 2009 was just shy of two stone and just under 5% body fat. Not earth moving, but the first time in probably 15 years I’ve finished the year weighing less than I started. Could I have lost more? Definitely. But I lost, and when I fell off the exercise and regular healthy eating pattern I still managed to keep it off. My new maintenance weight is now 14 stone instead of 16 stone. I’m pretty damn happy with that. I am a size 18 (down from 20, pushing 22), and my shape has completely changed. Like I said, I don’t have measurements from the start of the year, but I was stunned and pleased to find that I’ve barely changed since finishing TT in August. Since then I have lost 1.5 pounds, no body fat, and gained 1.5 cm on my waist, 1/2 cm on my hips and bicep, and no change on the knee. But I lost 1/2 cm off my thigh and calf.

So there you have it: my first year with blubber gone, and three of my weight loss goals achieved and crossed off the list. Hopefully, just the start of things to come. This year I’ve been motivated by, and would like to thank, Tom Venuto’s Body Fat Solution, Self magazine, Craig Ballantyne’s Turbulence Training, Lou Schuler’s New Rules of Lifting for Women, and all the people on the various forums – thanks for your ongoing support and for being there when I needed you.

Final measurements for 2009 and starting measurements for BBG 2010 are:

  • Weight: 14 stone 0.4 (196.4 lbs, 89.3 kg), 43.4% body fat, and 7 stone 13.2 (111.2 lbs, 50.5 kg) lean body mass
  • Waist: 108 cm
  • Hips: 129.5 cm
  • Left thigh: 63 cm
  • Left knee: 43 cm
  • Left calf: 39.5 cm
  • Left bicep: 39 cm

[Via http://blubberbegone.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment