Monday, December 14, 2009

A Journey of a Thousand Miles...

When Clay was born last November, I weighed 265 pounds.  Mind you, I am six feet tall, and that weight was including the baby I carried, but that was little consolation.  Looking back on my high school days, when I was a beanpole and quasi-athletic, I realized that I could easily afford to lose 100 pounds and still be heavier than I was back then.  No matter how hard I tried to be loving and compassionate with myself, my self-esteem and confidence were suffering more than my joints and back.  At only 22 years old I could not accept that I had already bid goodbye to my young slim body.  Stretch marks? “Muffin top?” Jeans sizes pushing the 20’s?  It was more than I could stand.  Luckily Jeff did his best to accept me and remain positive about my new body.  After all, it nourished and delivered a healthy baby, which is a very respectable thing for a body to do.  Nonetheless, the weight simply had to go.  Thus began my “thousand mile journey” to get fit and healthy.

Breastfeeding exclusively and taking Clay for walks in the stroller helped me to lose 30 pounds in the first few months.  I really wasn’t watching my diet, in fact, I was constantly ravenous and ate more than I did while pregnant.  I hit a plateau around 230 pounds which lasted several months.  Summer came and I decided to start walking regularly outdoors.  There’s a loop of road near my house with a well maintained sidewalk that is exactly 3 miles.  Walking this loop consistently for a month helped me shed another 15 pounds.

I’m not sure what exactly stumbled me with my walking plan, but from August till November of this year, I have been yo-yo-ing between 205 and 215 pounds.  A few weeks ago, on November 30, an idea came to me.  I would train for a marathon!  Why not?  Goals are very helpful to me, I need a “finished product” to work toward.  After choosing a race next year and much more research, my plan was revised to train for a half-marathon.  Burning out and quitting isn’t an option for me, so it made sense to take it slow.  I suppose I could always do more down the road if it’s reasonable.

Donning some too-tight workout garb, I handed Jeff the camera and had him take some photos of me from all angles.  We whipped out the measuring tape and measured my thighs, waist, chest, hips, arms, neck, calves… you get the picture.  Then I hit the internet to find myself a TRAINING SCHEDULE.  Just the thought of sharing my plan with friends and family made my heart race.  How cool am I?  Little Mrs. Elite (half) Marathon trainer.  Really though, you can’t beat family and friends in the accountability department.

Anyhow, knowing that I have somewhat of an all-or-none personality, I decided to temper it by beginning with the “Couch to 5k” program.  By all-or-none, I mean that a year ago, training for a half marathon would have meant going from the “couch” to trying to run a full 13.something miles right off the bat.  And then I would have crashed and burned, and with much dejection and embarrassment, given up altogether.  Training for a 5k would be a great start, I figure.  The program takes nine weeks.   Piece of cake!  I ran cross country in high school and raced 5k regularly, although not well, as I never trained in the off season and was really only on the team for the friends.  Oh, and my mom ran cross country and wanted me to also.  But this time, I am running for the right reason: for myself.  And I know I have it in me.  High School wasn’t that long ago.  Moving on.

After beginning my training program, I came across the Leukemia and Lymphomia Society’s Team in Training.   My mom beat a very serious case of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma last year, so this opportunity is absolutely perfect for me.  Talk about two birds and one stone; I can get help and motivation training for my race, while raising money for the LLS.  The first meeting is in January, and I can’t wait to begin.  As of right now, I am on “Week Two” of my Couch to 5k (aka, C25K) program and going strong.  The half marathon I will be running is next June.  Think I will be able to finish?

There have been obstacles already, as can be expected.  It’s December in Alaska, and a cold one at that.  It’s been below 10 degrees, and boy do my knees feel it!  When Jeff is home, he watches the baby so I can run out in the cold.  But he was gone in Virginia for a week, so it was Treadmill Time for me (Clay is tough, but I don’t think he would appreciate the jogging stroller at these temps.  haha).  Thankfully my parents had a spare treadmill, and it does the trick.  Understatement.  It’s heavenly!  No more gym memberships for me.  I can listen to my C25K podcast and run right in my living room.  I start week 3 tomorrow.  The last two weeks has only seen a one pound loss, but hey, it’s the holidays and I’ve had cookie exchanges to bake for :-)  I am trying to cut myself a little slack.  Now if only I can get over the “adequate sleep” obstacle… it’s 1:20 a.m. and I haven’t been able to sleep before 3 a.m. all week.  And hungry babies don’t sleep in!  On a positive note, Clay is a great wake-up call for me to get up and get on that treadmill.

This is not a designated “weight loss blog”, but getting in shape is becoming a big part of my life and therefore will be an occasional topic here.

Current Weight: 205

Target Weight: 155 (or so)

Weight lost to date: 60 pounds

Weight loss to go: 50 pounds

Click here for my “SparkPage“, which isn’t current, but it is my weight loss blog of sorts.

Note: I have pictures for you- will post them as soon as I figure out how!

[Via http://sltuttle.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment