Monday, March 1, 2010

Vacations Are Minefields

Current weight: 282.6 lbs

My wife and I recently went on a vacation to Seattle and points west. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed some nice weather. Remember, this is Seattle in February, so ‘nice weather’ is a relative term and means it only rained part of the time.

One thing we knew would be a challenge would be controlling how we eat – both the amount and the quality/healthiness of the food available to us. It will be a shock to exactly no one to hear that regulating your diet is much easier at home than when you’re on the road. You tend to eat out more and American restaurants tend to server larger portion sizes. This combination is a recipe (ha!) for disaster. Nevertheless, we cannot claim ignorance. We were well aware that we’d face these particular problems. I was, however, caught off-guard by something rather unexpected: longer times between meals.

At home, and especially during the week, my mealtimes are tightly regulated. In addition, I always try to have sensible snacks around for between meals in case I get a bit hungry before lunch or dinner. While on vacation, this became more difficult. I didn’t pack any snacks for those long stretches while traveling (we traveled by car). Rather than fill up on convenience store junk, I chose to wait until we could stop for a meal so that I could try to get better quality food. This seemed like a good idea, but anyone who has worked on weight loss will immediately see the problem. Once I did finally sit down to eat, I tended to eat more than I should have because more time elapsed between meals than I was used to. The other related problem is that I was able to visit some of my favorite old restaurants that I haven’t been to since I was last in Seattle. While I really enjoyed this aspect of the trip, not all of said restaurants had menus conducive to weight loss. C’est la vie, eh?

Bottom line: I was down to 279.6 lbs before leaving on the trip. Now, I’m back up to around 282. So, not as horrible an outcome as it could have been. But a lesson learned at the expense of losing some of the forward progress I’ve made up to this point. Although I plan on making some changes in how I eat on my next vacation, I have no doubt this will continue to be a challenging area for me.

[Via http://davidwholland.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment