Friday, March 5, 2010

Green Monster Success!

:-D TGIF! :-D

I am pouting for a moment because I have to go in for a meeting today! Boo…!!!! :(

Most of you know I do bi-weekly taste tests for the employees at my work. Employees pay $1 to help cover the expense of groceries and I prepare a healthy recipe to taste along with a copy of the recipe to try at home. I went out on a limb this week and decided to make GREEN MONSTERS! Not gunna lie, I didn’t know how these would go over with our staff…

I used the Designer Whey Protein Powder I won from Heather’s giveaway!

Into the blender went:

pineapple

papaya

banana

blueberries

strawberries

spinach

honey

vanilla whey protein powder (good stuff!)

skim milk

Rainbow of delicious nutrition!

Green Monsters to taste!

Feedback from taste testers:

I had 2 that weren’t fans, but the other 14 were all pleasantly surprised! I think people REALLY enjoyed the green monsters and I think some will even go on to make them at home. I strongly encouraged employees to give the smoothies a shot, despite their “look” and I am really happy with their willingness to step outside the box!

Taste Test…………………….Success! :-D

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today’s NNM Topic: Nonalcholic Fatty Liver (NAFL)

Simply put, nonalcholic fatty liver disease is the accumulation of fat in the liver in individuals who consume little to no alcohol. Excessive fat accumulation can cause scarring in the liver and lead to liver damage and cirrhosis. There are usually NO signs or symptoms of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, but fatigue, weight loss, and abdominal pain may present. There are several risk factors for NAFL including obesity, gastric bypass, rapid weight loss, high cholesterol, certain medications, malnutrition, metabolic syndrome, pesticides, type 2 diabetes, malnutrition, and Wilson’s disease. As you can, NAFL is HIGHLY correlated to proper nutrition.

Ways to treat nonalcoholic fatty liver through nutrition include lowering carbohydrate intake (simple carbohydrates, specifically), limiting fats in the diet, specifically saturated and trans fat, weight loss, and a high plant intake including fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And lastly….my new favorite snack!!! I RARELY post my daily eats, so you must understand how FABULOUS this snack is!!

They look like roaches or chocolate turtles, don’t they!?

The large date is a Medjool and the smaller dates are Barhi — they are so sweet and creamy!! I’ve heard that they taste like caramel if you freeze them. Must try! So to snack on, just remove the pit and shove a walnut right in! YUMMM!

Question #1: What’s the last snack you ate? Don’t fib!! :)

Question #2: Do you like dates? How do you like to eat them? Any favorite varieties?

[Via http://preventionrd.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment