Monday, March 22, 2010

A moment on the lips

Some amount of this undertaking is going to center around food. I am currently obsessed with food. Anyone who is “dieting” is, and I’m in the more serious aspect of dieting, i.e. literally trying to change the way I eat. Every nutrition guru worth their salt says it– It’s not a temporary endeavor; it’s an all-out life change.

I’m 36 years old and probably in the fight for my life. I’m not overweight, or chubby, or plump. I am medically obese. I may even be categorized as “morbidly obese” but that’s just splitting hairs. I’m fat. I’ve been following the Weight Watchers program for the last 12 weeks and have successfully lost 35 pounds. I have one hundred and six pounds to go to reach my goal weight. Even then, I’ll still be 20 pounds heavier than the normal BMI range for my height, but the BMI chart can suck it. Women my height in the upper end of the “Normal” BMI range are built like very athletic bikini models. It’s never gonna happen here.

So, I’m changing the way I eat. I’ve stopped eating fast food for the most part… a grilled  Chik-fil-a sandwich once in a blue moon isn’t gonna kill me.  I’m actually eating the recommended fruits, veg, whole grain and dairy amounts that the food pyramid draws out for us. I’ve taken on the challenge of cutting out 99% of processed food (I keep one “healthy choice” entrée in the freezer for lunch emergencies) and anything containing high fructose corn syrup (Harder than you can ever imagine).  I’m trying to buy organic goods, where a lower fat option isn’t a choice. And, honestly, I’m loving it.

Food has always been a focal point for me. I’m sure this is some sort of eating disorder. But if I’m going to be obsessed about what I’m eating, I’m going to go forward being obsessed with the eating the right things. Tonight I am making red beans and rice from scratch for the first time. Before, we always opened up a box of Zatarains and enjoyed it in 25 minutes or less. This is now a dish that has to be prepped the night before. But it’s mine. I know every ingredient and how that ingredient is beneficial to me. And that is more satisfying than anything that ever came out of a box.

A big part of this new-found zeal came from the book “Food Rules” by Michael Pollan. I was already on my journey of trying to attain a healthy weight when I ran across this little book. It’s a quick read, and lays out a lot of common sense ideas in an amusing thoughtful way. I highly recommend it for anyone who is trying to think differently about what they eat.

Find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Eaters-Michael-Pollan/dp/014311638X

[Via http://divinationjones.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment