Friday, July 17, 2009

Give and Take: A Healthy Relationship

Anyone in a relationship knows that you have to give in order to get back in return. The pleasures of a relationship that remain after the moonlighting days subside can be preserved by giving time and energy in return for let’s say a girl’s night out or a back rub for instance. There’s minimal guilt involved in receiving a perk after giving a perk and the sky is the limit when deciding what you would do for a klondike bar.  The concept of giving now in order to receive later is a fulfilling one especially when dealing with food. For example, “giving” up the tortilla from your breakfast burrito and the bun from your sandwich at lunch can easily translate into “getting” that glass of wine for dinner or that toothsome dessert that you just can’t get out of your mind. See how no guilt equals good pleasure?  This concept can be used for anything you consume from downsizing your steak portion in order to have another helping of your host’s famous casserole dish to deciding which side dish gets that extra pizzazz through a variety of toppings.  A real life example that happened to me just the other day:  I gave up the sour cream and cheese on my baked potato in exchange for a mayo dipping sauce on my artichoke.  I compromised the taste of my fully loaded baked potato for the savor of the succulent mayo dipping sauce I used for my artichoke.  It was without doubt worth the swap and proved merely to be a small price to pay to sustain my healthy relationship with food.  I knew that the next time I wanted a baked potato with all the fixings I would just forego a vegetable that tempted me to slather on the extra mayo calories.  Yes, a bit of self-control and planning is exercised in the production of each meal; but like in a healthy relationship it takes hard work and dedication.  Once you open yourself up to different options to manage your food allowances, similar to the compromises you make in your relationships, you will see that the best things do happen to those who wait.  Enjoy having your cake and eating it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment