Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cooking healthy with the ResultsBy chef-Turkish Delight

Turkey was one of my surprisingly favorite places I have been to, the beaches in Bodrum, the ruins in Ephesus, the white salt deposits in Pumukkale which make you feel like you are in Alaska in winter  but with 100 degree weather, the breath taking beauty of Istanbul and the pure culture shock. Each place was so unique, I drove from Bodrum to Ephesus and would have sworn I was driving through the Red lands in Northern California except for the insane drivers. I stayed in the Sultanahmet district in Turkey which was amazing, in one direction I could see the Blue Mosque and in the other just 200 meters away, the Hagia Sofia, two of the most awe inspiring structures I have ever seen!   The real circus in Istanbul is the Grand Bazaar, miles of anything from huka pipes, ginormous rugs, beautiful dishes, Turkish delights… The most pleasing to the eye though was the spice market, the aromas were so good that I did not want to leave, ever.  So when I had the Kabobs I thought I was going to flip, the spices tasted even better than the smell. I wanted to bring back these flavors and every time I have these Kabobs, I’m brought right back to that spice market, smiling and never wanting to leave. So join me in my Turkish delight and let’s cook up some Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kabobs.

Break out the grill and let’s get the ingredients.

What you need:

Let’s get the ingredients together

2 tsp. of dried crushed red pepper

2 tsp. of paprika

1 cup of plain Greek yogurt

3 tblsp. of olive oil

2 tblsp of red wine vinegar

2 tblsp of tomato paste

a dash of sea salt

fresh ground pepper

2 lemons, 1 sliced into thin rounds and the other in wedges

2-4 organic fresh chicken breasts

1 red pepper

1 yellow pepper

1 zucchini

Lets get prepped!

Let’s get prepped

In a large mixing bowl put the dried crushed pepper and paprika in with 2 tblsp. of hot water and stir until it becomes a paste. Then add the yogurt, olive oil, tomato paste red wine vinegar , salt and pepper to taste in  the mixing bowl and stir until  everything is mixed together. Add the chicken and stir and cover and put in the fridge, let it marinate for at least a couple of hours. Then cut the peppers into 1 and a half inch squares and the zucchini into one half inch and thread on the skewers.

Heat up the barbecue on medium heat for 10 minutes and oil up the grill rack. Thread the chicken and lemon circles on the skewers. place the chicken and veggies on the grill for about 12 minutes, flipping the skewers occasionally.

You can serve this on a nice platter with some hummus or just place it on the plates and serve up a beautiful, healthy and delicious meal.

This is my Turkey dish, next time I will do my pistacio sirloin Kabobs but I am sure you will enjoy this. Happy eating all and happy 4th of July!

Let’s chop & mix Almost ready…let’s set up the table. And here we are Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment