Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 5: Spoke Too Soon

I weighed 106 when I went to bed last night and 105 when I weighed in this morning. Bummer. I guess I spoke to soon yesterday when I announced that I had lost 1 pound. Or I did something wrong yesterday. I don’t really think I overate. Maybe it was the falafel pita. I bet they fried those little falafel balls. (I bake mine.) Maybe my low-intensity workout should have been raised a notch or two.

Breakfast 4 blackberries, 1 tablespoon of vanilla coconut milk yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of Ezekiel 4:9 Golden Flax Cereal. Gotta hit the farmer’s market today and stock up on my fruit.

Workout 1 We did the Just Keep Going workout for our WOWs today. It’s a set of 11 exercises, most using a medicine ball. Moving quickly from one to the other gets really tough as your muscles start to fatigue. But that right there – the pushing when tired, the making the body go when it wants to stop – that is what I am there for.  I made a few adjustments to raise the challenge level of this workout – and thus my PF Level. 1 second breaks between sets of squat thrusts; instead of jogging in place, I did high knee runs at a rapid tempo for the minute; I engaged and really squeezed my abs for every second of the plank hold (not one second of cruising allowed – and you know you can so do that with planks); and on the Umpas, first, I did them declined, with my head lower than my feet, and every time I pulled the medicine ball back to my chest I released as I pulled it, then caught it at my chest. This was a great workout physically and mentally.

All my groceries fit in those cool orange bags.

After the workout I jumped on my bike and rode to the store to do some grocery shopping. It’s not far to the store, but the ride home is all uphill. Even though it was a bit of a workout for my quads, it didn’t count as Workout 2. It was just the active, human-powered way I want to live.

Lunch Half a sandwich – sort of “chicken”-veggie-pesto sandwich. Let me describe it for you. I toasted one slice of Rudi’s Sourdough bread (the healthiest version of sourdough I have found, thus far), then spread some sundried tomato pesto (that I made this morning from the basil in my garden) on it. I cut the bread in half and put four Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Strips between the slices of bread. These are the vegan substitute for chicken. They don’t “taste just like chicken” but they’re close enough. I also put in two tomato slices, some chopped red bell peppers and grated about a teaspoon of VeganRella Natural Cheese Alternative. This is a really yummy sandwich. And did I mention is tastes good too? On the side I tried the Kale Chips we bought from Lazy Acres, but they were too “cheesy” for me. They have a cashew cheese topping that was just overpowering. So after one of those, I had 10 Kettle Brand Baked Hickory Barbeque Chips.

Workout 2 I went for a 35 minute run, from our house to downtown Santa Barbara for the farmer’s market that takes over State Street every Tuesday. Time to stock up on veggies and fruits for the next few days.

Dinner Experimental meal night. We do this a lot. Tonight I tried out a recipe for making pasta out of zucchini (from our garden). Then I sautéed some garlic, onions (from the farmer’s market), and some chopped up swiss chard (from our garden), and garbanzo beans (gotta get our protein). Then I tossed in some broccoli (from the farmer’s market). While that was warming up I heated up some of my homemade sundried tomato pesto (made this morning). Then I put it altogether. It ended up being a tiny bit of zucchini pasta, lots of the veggies, some pesto, then a bit of fresh chopped tomatoes and even some avocado (added after the picture), and a sprinkling of Parma (vegan parmesan). This experiment, yet to be named, actually tasted quite wonderful. That zucchini pasta ain’t bad at all. On the side I had one slice of Rudi’s sourdough bread, topped with a tiny bit of Earth Balance Buttery Spread Soy Free and some granular garlic. Of course, since I’ve been such a good girl, I got to have my one sweet treat for the day – a small homemade chocolate chip cookie with nothing nasty in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment