Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 16 of 30: How to Eat Out Successfully

Just before bed last night I weighed 104.2 pounds. I wanted the scale to say 103 again, but I wasn’t too shocked that it didn’t. I don’t usually drink water after my dinner at about 5:30 or 6:00 each night. Last night I went for a run after dinner and drank a bunch of water, and water is pretty weighty stuff. This morning I weighed in at 102.8. This was just what I was hoping for. All those trips to the potty during the night took care of that excess water I consumed.

My pancakes are getting smaller! That is a salad plate folks, not a full-size dinner plate.

On weekends my breakfasts get very exciting. We usually have pancakes or waffles – homemade healthy, vegan recipes, of course. Healthy or not, I did feel last weekend like my serving size was a bit too big. So I cut the batter back today and made myself two smaller banana pancakes – at least 25% smaller than the “old standard.”

Workout 1 We had plans to head south for the day, so I squeezed in a short, high intensity workout with my buddy Jillian Michaels. I threw in my 30 Day Shred DVD and did the 20 minute level 2 workout.

Lunch The whole point of our trip down south was to take our boy, Romero, out to lunch at a very special spot (and maybe just to get away for the day). The Park Bench Café in Huntington Beach is an outdoor café that is super-duper for doggies. They have people food and even a menu for dogs.

This is my half of the sandwich and my fries.

Shauna and I split their veggie sandwich. It was on wheat bread, spread with guacamole, and filled with lettuce, onions, tomatoes. I let myself have french fries once every few weeks, so today was my day. I had 12 with my sandwich. I was not full or stuffed and felt that I had made the healthiest choice for my lunch. Romero loved his ice cream and peanut butter snacks.

Dinner We were on the road when dinner time hit and boy was I hungry. I should have brought some nuts along to have as a snack. A small, healthy, low-calorie snack about midway between lunch and dinner keeps me from getting completely famished and making stooopid decisions at dinner time. If I let myself get to “starving,” I can definitely slip into overeating without thinking about it. Shauna and I were both wanting Mexican food. We weighed our options as we passed through Ventura and chose to go with Sharky’s Woodfired Mexican Grill. This is a much healthier choice than that good old, yummy authentic Mexican food. I don’t care how good it tastes, I am not eating lard, thanks. By the time we got to Sharky’s, I was so fricken’ hungry. I really thought I’d want to eat the whole veggie burrito I ordered. Instead I only ate half of it– made with black beans, zucchini, rice, bell peppers, onions, some salsa, guacamole, all wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. I also had about 10 tortilla chips and water. I was plenty satisfied. I would have been totally stuffed if I’d eaten the whole thing.

As we came back into Santa Barbara, we stopped and gave our uneaten halves of our burritos to some homeless men. Why stuff ourselves eating more that we should? And why let it go to waste? Either take your leftovers home and eat them later, or give them to someone who will really appreciate them.

Workout 2 I brought my workout clothes with me, just in case . . . And it worked out wonderfully. I switched clothes and had Shauna drop me off a few miles from home and I ran the rest of the way home. That felt so good. What a great way to end our day out. I think I ran for about 25-30 minutes or so.

Dessert After my run and my shower, we had dessert and guess what?? Prepare to be shocked. If you have been following my blog over these last 16 days, this next piece of info may actually cause you to fall out of your chair, so please secure yourself or call for assistance. (Drum roll builds . . .) I did NOT have a cookie tonight! See, I told you! Shocking, to say the least.

Just enough to enjoy the taste.

Instead I had one scoop (about 1 ½ tablespoons) of  Purely Decadent Chocolate Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert - coconut milk “ice cream” –  with two blackberries sliced and tossed on top. Ahhhh, so refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment