Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 12 of 30: Hang On to Your Panties

I weighed 105 pounds when I weighed in last night just before bed. When I got up this morning I was 104 . . . exactly. I know I was at the 104/103 spot just before the weekend and now I’m back up, but I’m not bugged. I’m feeling good about what I’m doing. I know I’m trimming the serving sizes. I know I’m doubling my workouts. These two things are making me feel really, really great. Time to get personal, so hang on to your panties. I always seem to put on a pound or two when on my period, which happens to be happening now, so I’m thinking this being up a pound thing could be because of that. At least that’s what I’m hoping. If I’m right, I’ll be back to my 104/103 in a couple of days. After my workout this morning I was at 103. I am really keeping that number in my sights right now.

See, it’s my opinion that the best way to deal with losing weight is in 5 pound increments. For people to look at the scale and say, “I have to lose 20, 30, or 50 pounds,” just sounds so overwhelming, so impossible, almost hopeless. But to keep yourself to thinking about 5 pounds at a time is much more doable.

Breakfast The very simple, not-so-thrilling, weekday breakfast of some sliced fruit (banana, blackberries, and blueberries), with a spoonful of coconut milk yogurt, and a spoonful of Ezekiel 4:9 Golden Flax Cereal. This really works for me. It’s a small amount of food (may 1 cup altogether) that fuels me for my workout and gets me through until lunch. The one thing I want to improve is my morning water intake. I am in the habit of having about 8 ounces of water with breakfast, then nothing else to drink until lunch. I am going to start making myself drink another glass between breakfast and lunch.

Workout 1  I am so over this fricken broken toe!!! I want to run like normal. Today’s workout only had about 4 minutes of running total, but I have to do it with adjustments. And downhill . . . that always hurts. Today’s WOW was all about the medicine ball and making myself do each of the 11 exercises powerfully and then move on quickly. It’s a torturous, wonderful workout. When it was done I felt strong, enabled, and ready to take on anything. There were moments during the workout where I just felt so tired, so fatigued. When I push through that, that’s where fitness happens, that’s where strength is born – inside and out!

Lunch Falafel Pita with Kettle Chips. I put three of my mini falafel patties on top of a four inch pita that was spread with hummus. Then I added red leaf lettuce, a bit of chopped carrot, chopped cucumber, chopped red and green bell peppers, sliced green onion, a sliced snap pea, and a bit of diced tomato. Then I topped it all off with a tablespoon of my homemade vegan ranch dressing. On the side I had 8 Honey Dijon Kettle Chips. I fell in love with these when I lived in Palau. This was my first day having them since I’ve been home. So pat me on the back! I only ate 8 of them!! That’s like 100 calories of crap-free goodness.

Dinner It was leftover night. We had what was left of Dolores’ Dish (AKA Veggie Casserole). I definitely and consciously served myself about 20% less than I used to serve. It has Yukon potatoes, sweet potatoes, three colors of bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, garlic, red onions and tomatoes in it, along with some olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. I love this dish so much.  On the side I had a piece of Rudi’s Sourdough. I so missed that bread while we were in Palau for 7 months. Then I had dessert: a Cocoa Hazelnut cookie. Boy did I make these small. They are less than half the size I used to make.

Workout 2 After this morning’s strength training workout, I decided I needed some cardio tonight. I would normally just strap on my shoes and go for a run. And you have no idea just how badly I want to do that. I love to go for a run. It’s so therapeutic for me – gives me time to zone out, to just watch, and listen, and breathe. It totally lets the air out of any stress I have. It’s a great second workout. It’s been 3 weeks since I broke my toe. Hopefully I’ll be all better in the next three weeks so I can get back to running. But for tonight, it’s a substitute. I came up with 13 movements and activities I could do that would get my heart rate up and my body working without making my toe hurt. I did each one for 1 minute, one right after the other. At the end I took a quick breather and did them all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment