Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 6 of 30: The Wall

Weighed in at 105 at bedtime last night and at 104 when I got up this morning. And . . . here’s a little something that gave me a even more encouragement. After this morning’s workout, and subsequent much-needed shower, I stepped onto the scale and was cheerfully greeted by these numbers: 103! I’m on the right track.

Breakfast Back to my standard weekday breakfast of ½ banana, 2 small strawberries, 4 blueberries, 2 blackberries, a tablespoon of Ezekiel 4:9 Golden Flax Cereal and a tablespoon of vanilla coconut milk yogurt.

Workout 1 I didn’t do my WOW workout today. I’ve been having lots of workout ideas every time I pass the long wall along Cabrillo Blvd. here in Santa Barbara between the harbor and the pier. So today I headed out there to act out some of my workout fantasies.

Dolores and I worked the wall, while Melina did her own version on a smaller wall for her and her baby in the belly. Shauna and Romero did another version – sometimes joining Dolores and I and sometimes doing extra top-secret stuff.

Dolores and I did Dip-Flips down one segment of the wall. That’s a tricep dip, followed by a pushup.

Then we went for a run down the wall and back.  Then Dip Walks. We walked along the top of the wall, lowering one leg toward the ground with each step. Another fantastic run, a bit further down, and back.

Then we Bear Crawled the next section of wall. Another run then we repeated that same section doing Sideways Bear Crawls. Another run, a bit further, then we vaulted back and forth over the wall as we moved down another segment. You guessed it, another run down the length of the wall and back.

Next up was some Leg Launchers. We would step up with one foot, launch high and land in a squat. We went for half a segment of the wall working one leg, then the other.  The we took those wobbly legs for another run out and back.

Then we did Samurai Squat Step Ups – boy do these work the legs and hips! Another run – all the way to the pier and back.

Now for the best and most fun activity of the morning. We ran, jumped onto the wall, then off, landing in a squat to a forward roll.

This was so much fun, Dolores kept begging to do “one more.”  We finished up with the wall with a some butt kickers and a nice declined plank walk. Then we got even more sandy by going from a kneel to a lunge over and over. Then we had Melina help us with some Disturbed Planks – that means she pushes, pulls, and messes with us while we are trying to hold a steady, strong plank.  And last but not least, we did Kneel Up. Kneel in the sand, extend both arms overhead, then stand up one leg at a time. Keep going up and down, keeping those hands high the whole time. This was a great workout. We loved it to pieces and it worked us in just about every way imaginable.

Snack Four red grapes from the farmer’s market.

Lunch I had one and half falafel balls left from my lunch in Ventura on Monday. I used those and made a Falaco. Yes, another of my own creations. I made spelt tortillas, spread the hummus Shauna just made on it, then put in my broken up falafels, veggies (lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, red bell pepper, and onion), and a bit of sundried tomato pesto (that I made using basil from our garden). See it’s a falafel-taco . . . or a falaco! On the side I had 8 Kettle Brand Baked Hickory Barbeque Chips. Washed it all down with a big glass of water.

I spent the next 3 ½ hours cleaning and re-arranging our garage. That meant non-stop movement, lifting, squatting, pushing, pulling and carrying stuff.

Dinner I made veggie fajitas. I sauteed red, yellow, orange, and green bell peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini strips, corn in olive oil with some seasonings (no salt and no “fajita mix”). Once I put my fajita together I added some sliced tomatoes, avocado slices, cilantro, and a spoonful of vegan sour cream. On the side I had ¼ cup of homemade black bean and ¼ cup of homemade whole grain Spanish rice. And once again, I had my small homemade chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

Workout 2 I did a 20 minute, hard core workout with Jillian Michaels once my dinner was settled. Oh, by the way, this is a great indicator about your meal size. You should be able to workout or do something active within an hour to and hour and a half after eating. If not, you most likely ate too much. I did level two on Jillian’s 30 Day Shred DVD and it was short and sweaty. Eat your dinner before 7:00 then try going for a walk, jog, bike ride after dinner. Get out and enjoy these longer days and if you happen to pass the wall on Cabrillo Blvd. or some other great wall, have some fun with it like we did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment