Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 13 of 30: Functional Fitness

Weighed in at 105 at bedtime and at 104 when I got up this morning. I weighed myself after this morning’s workout, just for kicks -  -  – 103.

Breakfast Had my standard weekday breakfast minus the blueberries. Just a few slices of banana, strawberry, and blackberries, topped with a spoon of vanilla coconut yogurt and Ezekiel 4:9 Golden Flax Cereal.

Workout 1 We returned to the Wall (see Day 6 of 30) and did that great workout one more time. This time Laura was able to join us as well. This wonderful cement wall is about 150 yards long, I’d guess. We worked a section on the wall doing fun things like side to side vaulting while moving forward, bear crawling, plank walks and all sorts of good stuff. In between these wall-working sections, we ran down the sidewalk that runs the length of the wall and back. It felt good to run, even if it was in bite-sized pieces. I tape my toes daily to make running possible. It still hurts, but it’s totally manageable. I did so much better this week with my forward moving side to side vaults. I got up and over – no feet touching the top at any point. I could feel it in my arms, chest, core and legs. Fantastic.

[I have a video or two to post here, but YouTube is down at this moment. So I'll post it a bit later.]

Then we got Laura to do the Run to Jump to Land and Roll. She was so funny. Instead of doing the shoulder blade roll, she kept doing a somersault right on top of her head. That girl didn’t give up though and she got it. Why is this important? Well it’s all about functional movements. Running, jumping onto an object, jumping off and knowing how to land in a safe way is all functional stuff that you may need. You don’t know when you’ll have to jump out a window to get out of a fire, or to help someone else, or just to play with your kids. People get hurt because they don’t know how to land in a good, safe way. Doing this in our workouts gets us all prepared for whatever life throws our way. We jump off things and land with bent hips, knees and ankles and then transfer that force and energy into a roll so that our bones don’t have to absorb it. We were doing this from a low jump today, but the same principles apply for bigger distances. We should never roll with our head on the ground, taking all the impact. That’s a sure way to hurt your neck. Instead we worked on doing it safely, getting ourselves to roll onto our shoulder blade. Training functional movements is also a fantastic way to give yourself a full-body, multi-dimensional workout.

Working out here does it all – cardio, core, upper, lower . . .  strength everywhere.

Very daring!

We even got all daring at the end and held some nice strong chaturanga poses in the bike path.

We ended the morning sandy, sweaty, and strong.

 

Lunch Homemade falafel pita. I list all the ingredients in yesterday’s blog so check that out if you haven’t already seen it. On the side I had 10 Honey Dijon Kettle Chips. Eating whole wheat pitas instead of bread is a healthier option and one I haven’t really done until lately. I used to think I couldn’t get by without bread, and lots of it. I was sure I’d self-destruct. Can you tell I just love bread? But I don’t feel like I’m missing out at all eating pitas.

Snack 5 red grapes and 5 raw, unsalted, mixed nuts (cashew, almonds, brazil nut, and hazelnut). And a big glass of water – my second since lunch. I’m doing better at drinking more water between meals.

Dinner I made some pasta with chard tonight. I cooked up some Ezekiel 4:9 Pasta along with some Rice Pasta (I was low on the Ezekiel 4:9 so I supplemented). Then I sauteed some garlic and onions, added some chard (from our garden), then some sundried tomatoes and pine nuts. I mixed this with the cooked pasta and sprinkled some Parma Vegan Parmesan Cheese on top. Shauna made a great salad using green and red lettuce from our garden, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, tomatoes, and a few pepitas. I had a small bowl of salad – about a cup and a half – with a tablespoon of my homemade vegan ranch dressing. I also had a piece of sourdough garlic bread.

Here’s the exciting part. I served  myself too much pasta, though I didn’t realize it at first. I had put less in the pasta bowl than I used to have so I figured I was good. Then, as I was eating, I had one of those moments. It was just a moment, a pause, and I realized I felt good. I knew I could actually stop right there and be satisfied, but there was still half my serving of yummy pasta in my bowl and a bit of salad. I finished the last 3 bites of salad and didn’t take another bite of the pasta. It was wonderful, really. Being strong enough and aware enough to just put the bowl of pasta down and say, “I’ve had enough.” For dessert I had the tiniest of my homemade Cocoa Hazelnut Cookies. I mean it was teeny, tiny.  A perfect way to end. I felt satisfied and not full.

Workout 2 I pulled on the gloves and spent 30 minutes jabbing, punching, throwing hooks and uppercuts, kicking, bobbing, weaving, and ducking. It was a great workout and a great way to just de-stress at the end of the day. And then, as I was putting the cover back on the bag, I got to use that functional fitness stuff I was talking about on Workout 1. I had to climb up on a storage container. It was too high to step down from, so I jumped and landed in a nice low squat. No roll necessary.  Actually this second workout was also very functional. Doing moves that emulate self-defense are not only a great way to stay fit, but also a good idea just in case you ever need to defend yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment