Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cooking healthy with the ResultsBy chef-Italian style

Tim Trost in Ravello

The first time I went to Italy, I remember driving from the French Riviera to a little town called Cinque Teerre, where my friend John Carlo lived. I was a little over the heavy foods in France and ready for a nice light meal. John Carlo introduced me to this dish and for the rest of my stay in Italy I would stop off at every market and get bresaola and burrata. I was on a budget — it was cheap and delicious. On my second visit to Italy I went to a little town called Ravello, this time I wasn’t on a budget so I treated myself to the restaurants this time. Again every time I saw this dish on the menu, I would get it and was never disappointed. The presentation was exquisite with the taste to match! I hope you enjoy it.

Tim Trost in Positano

This one is simple, all you need is a knife, cutting board and a food processor that is it!

What you’ll need:

One half pound of  Bresaola (Go to an italian deli, they should have both Bresaola & Burrata ask them to cut the Besaola thin.)

8 oz of burrata

Olive oil

Balsamic vinaigrette

Arugula

2 heirloom tomatoes

Let's get prepped

Lets get prepped now:

Cut the tomatoes into medium slices long ways and then again into halves. Cut the avocado into half  and then slice long ways. Now the art of it is in the presentation, find your inner artist and design the plate how you want or just look at the pictures and follow my guide.

Homemade pesto What you ‘ll need: Ingredients
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

    Let's cut'em up

  • Special equipment needed: A food processor (Check Amazon.com’s sale on Cuisinart food processors.)
Method

1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.

This is a great lunch or light dinner. The smells and tastes bring me right back to beautiful Italy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Enjoy!

hmmm, beautiful & yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment