Thursday, March 26, 2009

Halfway Through Week Two On Medifast

My oh my, this whole weight loss journey is really turning out to be just that… a journey. I can’t say I’ve ever learned more about myself in such a short period of time. The issues I had with food would be enough to break a normal person down. I was talking about Medifast with my mother, and she was saying how she could never do a diet like this, as it would leave her feeling way too “deprived”. I’ll be honest, there are times when I do feel deprived, but I’ve come to learn that I never really needed those foods or “experiences” that I thought came with that food in the first place. I no longer deserve those luxuries. My body doesn’t “deserve” that type of care any longer.

I learned that once I stopped feeling entitled to certain foods and restaurant experiences, I was much happier on Medifast.

To come to that epiphany, I really had to tell myself that I seriously wanted to be healthy, and that I was really serious about sticking to Medifast until I reach my goal of 150 lbs.  I had to ask myself: What are the pros of being healthier and thinner?

There’s one big reason that I feel trumps them all. This goal is starting a family with my husband. We want to have our first child sometime next year. None of my family knows this yet, although they’ve been bugging us for the last few years about when we’re finally going to have a baby. We’ve been together for almost 10 years. Married for 5. We’ve waited patiently to have kids. We wanted to own our dream home, be more than financially stable… in addition to many other personal goals. A few of the goals have been achieved, and the others are set to happen very soon. We are blessed.

I definitely don’t want to be unhealthy when I have my first child. Although I previously weighed 240 lbs, I was actually very healthy. I ate well for the most part (especially main meals), and I did exercise often. However, I can’t imagine being overweight and getting pregnant is healthy. I know a lot of women have fertility issues when they are overweight, but I haven’t yet experienced this, since we haven’t actually tried to conceive yet. Women in my family are generally very fertile, so I don’t imagine this being an issue.

Either way, I want to be able to savor ever minute of my first pregnancy. Seeing the smallest sign of a baby bump will be so much easier when I am at a healthy weight. I don’t want all of this belly fat in the way of me feeling my baby kick for the first time. I want to be healthy enough to exercise regularly when I’m pregnant, and I want to make childbirth as easy as possible. I know losing my remaining 80 lbs will help pregnancy and childbirth tremendously.

I think losing this 80 lbs will be the first of many  things I can do for my unborn child, well before he or she is even conceived. It just needs to be done. Just like buying the house, being financially stable, and having a life that’s suitable for a child to grow up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment